While there isn’t a shortage of restaurants with a focus on food and presentation, some ambitious people around the world are offering you dining experiences an ordinary interior designer simply cannot replicate.
We curated seven of them for your next grand food trip.
5.8 Undersea Restaurant of Hurawalhi Island Resort
Lhaviyani Atoll, Republic of Maldives
Savour your meal in the company of fishes swimming beside you. True to its name, this restaurant is submerged 5.8 meters below the surface of the sea. One of the many luxuries of the Hurawalhi Island Resort.
- Fly to Male, be sure to arrive during daylight hours.
- Take a seaplane to the Lhaviyani Atoll.
Ice Restaurant of Arctic SnowHotel
Lehtoahontie 27, Sinetta 97220, Finland
A fully-functioning restaurant and bar within a massive snow structure. With the tables and glasses made entirely out of frozen ice, your dining experience will be chill indeed. While you’re there, stay at their glass igloos and dip into their snow saunas.
- Fly to Rovaniemi Airport.
- Get a taxi to Arctic Snowhotel, Sinetta.
The Grotto of Rayavadee
214 Tambon Ao Nang, อำเภอ เมือง Chang Wat Krabi 81000, Thailand
Dine beneath an illuminated cave, with a close-up view of the sea and the fine beach sand beneath your feet.
- Fly to Phuket or Krabi.
- Rayavadee Resort can help you arrange a pick-up from the airport to their private pier.
- From their pier, a boat will take you to the resort.
Photo credit: RUBÉN ACOSTA – TURISMO LANZAROTE
Las Palmas, Spain
Forget charcoal. This restaurant serves you meals cooked from an active volcano. Don’t worry, it hasn’t erupted since 1824. Eating there also affords you the breath-taking view of the surrounding plains of Lanzarote’s Timanfaya National Park.
- Fly to Lanzarote Airport.
- Take a taxi to El Diablo.
Cafe Yeonnam-Dong 223-14
South Korea, Seoul, Mapo-gu, Yeonnam-dong, Seongmisan-ro, 161-10 카페
Also known as the “drawing cafe”, this place has its interiors coloured entirely in black and white. Walking inside will place you in a 2-d dimensional cartoon, which will almost look like Photoshopped pictures.
- Fly to Seoul.
- Take the train to Gajwa station.
- Walk the rest of the way, or take a cab.
The Labasin Waterfalls Restaurant of Villa Escudero
Maharlika Hwy | Laguna, Tiaong, Luzon 1008, Philippines
Take your family to a tropical paradise, with a restaurant right by a waterfall. Enjoy a buffet of traditional Filipino food while your bare feet are soaked in running water. While you’re there, go bamboo rafting for an idyllic afternoon.
- Fly to Manila.
- Rent a car to drive directly to the resort.
- Or take the public bus to Lucena City, where you can take a tricycle ride to the resort.
The Ledge at Skydeck
233 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606, USA
Have a slice of world-famous Chicago-style pizza a hundred floors above the ground. Your meals will be served with a view of the cityscape, bringing you to the top of the urban world.
- Fly to O’Hare International Airport.
- Take the subway to Monroe station.
- Take 10-minute walk down W Adams Street to Willis Tower.
Don’t settle for an ordinary hotel cuisine. Hop on that plane, your senses will thank you for it.
Your Gateways to Getaways,
- The Most Instagram-Worthy Sights at Hanoi and Ha Long Bay
- Why You Should Visit the Edinburgh Festival Fringe: the World’s Largest Arts Festival