Gua Tempurung is a cave in Gopeng, Perak, Malaysia. It is popular among spelunkers, or caving enthusiasts. About 3 km long, it is one of the longest caves in Peninsula Malaysia. Part of it has been developed as a show cave with electric lighting and walkways and there are a range of tours of different lengths and difficulty. A fine river cave, the river passage runs about 1.6 km through the hill. There are three very large chambers and some spectacular stalactites and stalagmites.
Located in Gopeng, about 24km south of the capital city of Ipoh in Perak, this limestone cave is one of the largest in Peninsular Malaysia. Although not as big as Niah Cave and Mulu Cave in Sarawak, beginners to caving exploration will be glad to know that this cave is easy to explore. The tunnel of the cave runs from the east to the west covering a distance of about 2km under the limestone hills known as Gunung Tempurung and Gunung Gajah. It is made up of 5 large domes and is believed to have existed since 8,000 B.C., about 10,000 years ago. It comprises of five huge domes with cielings resembling cocunut shells. Each of these domes has different calcium formations and marble there exist in differing temperatures and water levels. These caves are famous for its breathtaking gallery of stalagmites, stalactites and other amazing rock formations that are superb speleological wonders, found only in this part of the world.
There are various tours into the caves being the main attraction here. These caves are located under the limestone hills and form tunnels that runs from east to west, nearly 1.9km in length. Visitors can experience these tours with specific requirements of prior preparation. Certain tours such as the River Adventure Tours require visitors to bring a change of clothes and shoes. Torch lights and safety helmets are available for rent.
For Gua Tempurung Dry Package Tour (tour 1 and tour 2 recommend to use the packages )
1. Dress comfortably (consider T-shirts and long pants) and wear comfortable shoes or sandals with straps and good grip. Hiking boots are the best as they provide better support for the ankles.
2. Bring mineral water. It is best to carry the bottle/s and other personal stuff in small backpack.
3. Camera and torchlight are optional. Your guide will bring a torch so you don’t need to bring one. But if you come in a big group, additional torchlight will come in handy.
For the Dry and Wet Package Tour (tour 3 and tour 4 recommend to use the packages )
1. Wear comfortable clothes, shoes and socks. Poly-pro or wool types of clothes are the best for caving. For pants, try old Dockers. Denim tends to constrict movement but it can work. Make sure your shoes have good grip. Hiking boots are the best for better traction.
2. Gloves and kneepads are highly recommended.
3. Bring mineral water and other personal stuff in small backpack.
Other must bring:
A change of clothes, towel and shoes/sandals (you need not bring these into the cave. Leave them in your vehicle as you will need them only after the tour).
1. Camera. Don’t bring expensive ones. Put camera in watertight plastic or container. It is a good idea to put everything in water-proof plastic bags so items won’t get soaked.
2. Caving helmet.
3. First aid kid.
4. Extra torches and back-up batteries.
1. You don’t have to bring food as there are stalls selling food, snacks and drinks outside Gua Tempurung.
2. Other facilities available include toilets, changing rooms, convenience store and prayer rooms (surau) for Muslims.
3. Please do not litter in and outside the cave area. It’s a good idea for you to bring a garbage bag to put rubbish that you come across inside the cave. This way, you will help keep the environment clean.
4. Check equipment before entering the cave.
5. Heart patients and those suffering from claustrophobia should limit themselves to show caves. Inform your guide of any serious medical condition.
6. Cavers should be free from allergies related to limestone and bat guano.
Open Time : 9.00am – 4.00pm
Address : APT Consortium Sdn. Bhd.,
8A Laluan Rokam 15,
Pekan Razaki, 31350 Ipoh, Perak.
Tel : 605-318 8555
Fax : 605-318 8557
Email : email@example.com
Website : www.guatempurung.com