Old Johor Fort Kota Johor Lama
The Old Johor Fort or Kota Johor Lama was the site of fierce wars amongst the local Malays and outside invading forces.
It was built in 1540 during the reign of Sultan Alauddin Riayat Shah II (1528-1564). This fort was the best defence fort built along the Johor River at the time.
After the fall of the Malay Sultanate of Malacca in 1511, Johor River became the administrative centre and defence fort to counter- attack the Portuguese position in Malacca.
The natural environment of the fort made it easier to supervise the movement of the ships especially the threat from the Acehnese and Portuguese.
In 1587, the fort fell to the Portuguese. The whole fort was burnt down and all assets including weapons were taken.
Kota Johor Lama is approximately 27km from Kota Tinggi town, in Teluk Sengat. Johor Lama is accessible from the North-South Expressway (NSE) via the Kulai exit (Interchage 252), onto the Johor Bahru-Kota Tinggi trunk road (Highway 94 and 3) and onwards towards Desaru (Highway 92). This route is about 77km from the NSE.
Who To Contact
Tourism Malaysia Johor
L3-26 Aras 3, Bangunan JOTIC, 2 Jalan Ayer Molek, Johor Bahru 80000, Johor
Phone: +607-222 3590/3591
Fax: +607-223 5502